3. Web Search Tools: Web Directories
If you're looking for shoes in a mall, a mall's directory will give you the best store to visit to find them. A web directory is similar - it will tell you the best places to look for a particular subject area.
Web directories are:
1. Selective: They are a collection of sites that have been selected by specialists.
2. Browse-able: They can be browsed by subject categories, which are usually arranged in a hierarchy, starting with the broadest or most general one , such as:
3. Searchable: In addition to browsing, you can also search within most directories. Your search words are matched against:
- site titles
- subject categories
- short, descriptive summaries of sites
Take a look at our Web Directories video.
Examples of web directories (click image to visit):
See if you can use ipl2 to BROWSE to find sites related to employment in the field of Business & Economics, specifically in Canada.