4. Discovering E-books: OhioLINK Electronic Book Center
OhioLINK Electronic Book Center, or EBC, is a resource which gives you access to thousands of electronic books. When you go to the main EBC screen, it will look like the image below. Notice some important details pointed out.
Note that when searching All EBC Collections, you will be limited to retrieving 30 items per collection.
The two largest collections, both with similar search interfaces and unlimited users, in the EBC are:
Scholarly & Reference Collection: Search the full-text of thousands of Reference books and a large number of science e-books from publishers such as Springer/Birkhauser, Oxford University Press, ABC-CLIO, Gale, and Sage. Includes books in many subject areas.
American & English Literature Collection: Includes several digitized
collections in poetry, drama, and fiction, as well as Bibliography of
American Literature, Editions and Adaptations of Shakespeare,
William Butler Yeats Collection, and The Bible in English.
When you go to the EBC's Scholarly & Reference Collection's Advanced Search, it will look like the image below. Notice important features are pointed out (match numbers/colors to description):
1. Do a simple keyword search.
2. Do an advanced search, allowing for more search options
3. Command Line search allows for Boolean operators
4. Browse lets you see all books by subject/date, title, or author.
5. Enter search terms and choose to find results with ALL of the terms or ANY of them. Do not use Boolean operators in the box.
6. Exclude terms, specify proximity, or choose where terms appear.
7. Search within specific fields, most found in citations.
Within this collection, you can:
- Search the full text of all books
- Search the full text of a specific book
- See where search terms appear within a specific book
Some searching tips:
|Other search options|
In your results, you will be shown how many times search terms appear, for example:
Click on a title, to begin reading a book. You can see where your search terms appear in order to go to the sections that are probably most relevant. You may also search within the text of the specific book.
Note you can move between occurrences of your search term within the text of the book. The term will have arrows around it allowing you to navigate to the next or previous occurrence:
|Printing may differ depending on the book publisher. You can use the chapter's PDF Full Text view to view and print.|
Need more assistance? See a librarian or Ask Us.
Go to the EBC and do a search in the Scholarly & Reference Collection for the word chocolate. Of these titles, which has the most hits for the term?
- Mycotoxins in Foodstuffs
- Food Materials Science: Principles and Practice
- Edible Films and Coatings for Food Applications